Started in Athens, set out to wander the world.
The most alternative Travel Club
has just landed!
We are an energetic international community of travellers, based on Athens, eager and dedicated to explore as many as possible of the sights and experiences that our wondrous planet has to offer. Our campsite is open to everyone, to share information, stories and ideas about travelling to places further of the horizon, as near or as far as the heart desires. Our mission is “to boldly travel the world (as far and as long) as none travelled before”.
We use our Travel Club to organise trips to every corner of the globe, both for ourselves and other fellow travellers. While resting back in our base, we organise and participate in various travel-related events, bringing the “away” back home and keeping the travelling magic alive.
So welcome aboard and we wish to you all long and happy travels!
Born from travellers, for travellers.
Started in Athens, set out to wander the world!
A community of independent travellers
Interact with fellow travellers
Meet people from all over the world, united in our common passion for travelling to places further of the horizon. Read interesting stories, get new ideas and share precious info.
Participate in local events
Keep the travelling magic alive while back in your home base. Taste ethnic food, visit culture haunts, explore new destinations, learn travelling tips, and built some new friendships.
Travel together with friends
Keep posted about co-travelling opportunities, and embark on new and exciting journeys. Share your trip experience and have fun among like-minded people with similar interests.
Stay tuned, stay engaged, with our local travel-themed activities!
The Traveller’s Pub
Get together with fellow travellers for socialising, drinks and general merriment, exchanging travel tales and trip ideas.
The Traveller’s Lunchbox
Our ethnic foodie gathering, sampling tastes from around the world, with each month dedicated to a different cuisine.
The Traveller’s Path
Explore some of our favourite places and downtown neighbourhoods on a leisurely walking tour around Athens.
The Traveller’s Trail
Stretch your legs and enjoy nature on a relaxing short hike in the surrounding Attica mountains, with a break afterwards.
The Traveller’s Experience
Unique local and cultural experiences that can be enjoyed right next door, to share with your fellow travellers.
Our signature "Around the World in 80 Trips" Programme
What we generally want from our trips.
- Our trips are designed to cover the entire planet in the best and most comprehensive way possible. The number 80 is mostly indicative and used for emphasis, as in practice the number may vary, depending on the interests and abilities of each individual traveller.
- We are searching for the uniqueness of each destination, like beaches in the Caribbean, monuments in Rome, monasteries in Tibet, bazaars in the Middle East, safaris in Africa.
- We are searching for the modern aspect of each destination as well, not only for the historic or ancient, including the lifestyle and daily lives of the local people.
- We are searching for an integrated experience, including elements of natural, archaeological, folkloric and sociological interest.
- We are searching for the actual reality, not just the tourist showcase, including the rich and the poor, the old and the modern, the beautiful and the ugly.
What we generally want from our travellers.
The traveller must have self-management.
- There are no group leaders.
- Each and every one is sole responsible for himself.
- The rest of the group and the trip does not stop nor wait for anyone.
- The programme is strictly observed and with absolute precision.
- There is no exclusive personal treatment, such as for nutrition or health issues.
- Travellers participate in all trips, events, and activities at their own risk.
The traveller must have sufficient knowledge of English and modern technology.
- All tours are conducted in English and without translation.
- Each traveller should be able for basic self-communication on the destination.
- The programme and all communication is made exclusively in electronic form.
- Each traveller should be familiar with electronic maps and basic travel applications.
The traveller must be travel conscious.
- We behave restrainedly, and never in an offensive or inappropriate manner.
- We respect the places and people we visit, and act according to the local customs.
- Everyone is mindful of the environment and picks up his own trash.
- We aim for the minimum impact to our destinations.
- We respect the diversity and personality of our fellow travellers.
The traveller must be in good enough physical condition.
- Although there are no age restrictions, there are endurance limits.
- Each traveller should be sufficiently prepared for all included activities.
- The tours are long and often require walking over considerable distances.
- The programme is dense and the activities may often be strenuous.
The traveller must be well organised.
- Most trips are designed and organised approximately 3-6 months prior to departure.
- Booking is made 2 months and final payment 1 month prior to departure.
- The traveller must be well informed about the particularities of each destination.
- Each traveller must have all necessary equipment for the trip and the included activities.
- We adapt to the trip, not the trip to us.
How we generally design our trips.
Every trip component, including the duration, accommodation, transportation, programme and activities, can be customised to suit the travellers’ interests, budget, and needs.
The average trip’s full duration is 2-4 weeks, in order to see and do as much as possible in a wider area and avoid doubling back, thus saving effort, time and money.
The season of the trip does not depend on the respective Western vacations or holidays, but only on the optimal time for visiting each destination. Other factors are also taken into account, like important holidays or events affecting the destination, in order to avoid overcrowding, increased accommodation prices and probable contingencies.
The aim of the trips is to reveal the uniqueness of each destination, both positive and negative, traditional and modern, and of whatever kind that may be, cultural, architectural, natural, commercial, or other. Special emphasis is given on UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
We prefer to cultivate stable and long-term relations with suitable quality local agencies and operators, to obtain better prices and provide continuity and accountability if the need arises.
The trips are designed for independent travellers, do not include a group leader, and a local guide is only included whenever it is absolutely necessary or at least exceptionally useful.
The size of each group is kept small, of maximum 8 travellers, for better flexibility, and always trying to put together people of similar interests and abilities.
Any necessary overall decisions will be taken by majority vote from the travellers involved, but they will be non-binding for each individual participant.
Each traveller is responsible for himself and his own particular needs. The group and the trip does not stop, slow, or deviate from the programme for anyone.
The programme in each destination is mostly indicative, and can be customised to the interests of each traveller group. The schedule is kept dense and full, but it is also flexible enough and includes plenty of free time, especially in the cities.
A walking tour is preferable to a bus tour, wherever possible, to enjoy in depth the atmosphere of each particular destination. The use of guides within cities is also discouraged, unless necessary, to allow for more freedom to roam about.
Transportation is chosen to allow for the maximum possible time in each destination, provided that the cost is reasonable. A longer route is preferred only if it is of outstanding natural beauty or cultural value.
For accommodation it is preferred to stay in local boutique hotels inside the city centre, to make exploration on foot easier. The larger all inclusive luxurious hotels are generally avoided, as they tend to alienate travellers from the destination and do not offer value for money. On average we aim for good 3* hotels of Western standards, although we might consider decent cheaper options (guesthouse, camp) as well. Basic amenities such as wifi or parking (on road trips) are also sought after.
Apart from breakfast, no other meals are usually included, so that each traveller can have the option of tasting the local cuisine and select for himself the cost of his own food.
The average total cost is roughly estimated around 500-1000€/week per person in double room, including flights, accommodation, transportation, and local activities, although it varies greatly depending on the destination and the travel style.
How demanding we expect the trip to be.